Facial aesthetics play an important role in enhancing your confidence and self-esteem. Porcelain onlays are a type of dental restoration that aids in smile rejuvenation. These are popular among other restorations since they are conservative in nature and preserve most of the tooth structure.
Our renowned dentist in Jackson Heights, New York, specializes in providing high-quality porcelain onlays to rejuvenate your oral health.
Porcelain onlays explained
A porcelain onlay is a ceramic replacement for a severely damaged tooth. These restorations replace most of the biting (occlusal) surfaces of the tooth, including the chewing cusps. Porcelain onlays are a popular treatment option because they mimic the appearance of your natural teeth.
Uses of porcelain onlays
Currently, dentists often recommend porcelain onlays for the following dental problems:
- Broken cusps of your teeth
- Severely decayed teeth
- Fractured teeth
- Broken or damaged existing restorations
- Large, unsightly fillings
- Cosmetic imperfections
Porcelain onlays- the procedure involved
The basic steps of fabricating a porcelain onlay are as follows:
- Your dentist will first prepare your affected tooth by removing any old fillings, dental caries
- The concerned tooth will be prepared by cutting a minimal amount of tooth structure.
- Multiple oral impressions, in the form of digital scans, will be taken and sent to the laboratory.
- An appropriate shade will be chosen to fabricate your onlay to match your natural teeth.
- You will be provided a temporary filling to protect the tooth until you receive the permanent restoration.
- After about 1 to 2 weeks, the temporary onlay will be removed and replaced with a permanent porcelain onlay.
- Your dentist will make the necessary adjustments to ensure proper fit and aesthetics.
- High points will be checked to ensure your bite is comfortable.
- Finally, the porcelain onlay will be fixed using appropriate dental cement.
It is essential to care for the porcelain onlays to increase their longevity, strength, and durability. This is possible through the following guidelines:
- Brush your teeth twice using fluoridated toothpaste, and floss regularly
- Avoid sticky or chewy foods to prevent excess plaque accumulation
- Get dental exams and cleaning once in 6months
- Avoid grinding or clenching your teeth
The benefits of porcelain onlays
Porcelain onlays are increasing in popularity due to the following benefits:
- Aesthetic appearance
- Low risk of future decay
- Natural tooth structure preservation
- Provides a secure fit
- Effectively enhances your chewing function
- No replacements required
- Durable and long-lasting
Porcelain onlays are an excellent alternative to dental crowns since they preserve most of your natural tooth structure. These permanent restorations offer a cascade of benefits that go a long way in enhancing your oral health.