Are you a weight watcher? Then, here’s a healthy and unique spread you can use to flavour your food. Try the pistachio spread. Made from one of the world’s most delicious nuts, you’ll surely love the slimy and sweet taste of pistachio spread. They were developed using pistachio paste and mixing it with icing sugar, red palm oil, and soy protein isolate. So, what makes a healthy pistachio spread?
What Makes a Healthy Pistachio Spread?
A healthy pistachio spread starts with one main ingredient – pistachio. Pistachio is green and slightly sweet nuts. Yet botanically, they are considered seeds. Pistachio offers a range of health benefits. These include:
- Lowering the chance of cardiovascular diseases being rich in potassium and vitamin B6.
- Pistachio nuts are rich in antioxidants that promote cell regeneration and prevent the risk of developing cancer.
- Pistachio nuts have lutein and zeaxanthin which help promote eye health. They decrease the chance of developing cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Pistachio nuts contain natural sugar that has a low glycemic index. As such, they can help lower blood sugar and insulin level.
- Regulates blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol levels with its bursting fibre and unsaturated fats content.
- Their fibre content promotes a healthy gut by aiding good bacteria in the digestive system.
- These fibres also promote weight loss as they easily make one feel full. They’re a nutritious and satisfying meal.
To make a pistachio paste, use raw pistachio – either shell or unshelled. Get the skin out of the pistachio nuts. Skinning is the secret way to create a vibrant green pistachio paste. Roasted pistachio with skin-on results in an unappealing brown paste. Although, it also tastes great.
The best way to skin pistachio nuts is by boiling a pot of water. Remove the boiled water from heat and soak the pistachio nuts for about 1 to 2 minutes. Afterwards, remove the pistachio nuts from the boiling water. Drain them on a clean kitchen towel. Rub their skin gently and see how they easily separate from the pistachio nut. You may need to peel off the stubborn ones.
The next step is to make the pistachio paste. The stages go like transforming the whole nuts into crumbs, then the crumbs into powder, and the powder into a paste. Put the skinned pistachio nuts in a food processor. Add some water and start grinding the skinned pistachio nuts.
Little by little, add some more water until the process nuts get smoother. The entire process can take around 5 minutes. Once done, put the paste in a jar. You can store it in the fridge for up to 3 months and it will make a healthy pistachio spread.
Where to Use a Healthy Pistachio Spread?
You can use a healthy pistachio spread in the following ways:
- As a Crostini topping
- As a filling for chocolate confections
- As a filling for Danish bread
- As a filling for fruit tarts
- As a filling for Gianduja
- As pizza toppings
- As salad garnishes
- To flavour buttercreams, ice creams, and mousses
- To flavour dessert crepes
- Simply spread to bread and crackers
As you can see, there are many ways to use pistachio spread. Take your pick and try it for yourself!